Saturday, September 29, 2012

itchy feet

The weeks between summer and fall, it's only appropriate to mention 'transition.' I have to check The Weather Channel every morning to know if I should wear flip flops or boots, a sweater and scarf or a cami, will there be a heat wave or a monsoon? I'm preparing for our wedding in less than 5 months, settling in a new town, I somehow developed Celiac Disease, midterm exams are looming - and I find my head spinning. For those of you who know me, I have a hard time settling. I don't like to stay in one place for too long, I feel restless and discontent if I don't leave the state every month. I don't know why I'm like this, I grew up in a very happy suburb outside of DC - in the same school, with the same friends. In college, my housemates empathesized. We were constantly planning a trip - to the cabin in Pennsylvania or driving to Florida or a music festival in West Virginia or they were helping me find roommates in Oregon. I lived in Harrisonburg last year and moved to Frederick only 3 months ago, and I'm already feeling the itch. I like it here. I really do. There are tons of shops and bars and concerts and cafes and hipsters; but I crave newness. This is something I need to work on. Gustavo did grow up in a military family. He moved all around Argentina, Texas, Cyprus, Pennsylvania, Israel - with his 4 siblings as his constants. He likes the idea of moving somewhere, staying, and calling it 'home.' He sweetly tries to satisfy my urge to move by planning weekend trips. It's not fair to say, "I'm bored." Part of it may be hormonal, God bless Gus for dealing with me. Does anyone else have this problem? Any wanderlusters or rubber tramps who get itchy feet? I'm self-treating this character flaw, first by exposing it on the blogosphere. Then by listing all the reasons I'm blessed to stay where I am, and be happy:









- We live exactly half way between my parents and Gustavo's sister. 
- We can drive to Northern Virginia for dinner on a Saturday night and stay Sunday for church and a nap. 
- We can drive to Shepherdstowon on a Saturday morning to watch Agustin's soccer game, or I can casually meet Veronica in Frederick and chat with her through the isles of Costco.
- From here, I can meet my old friends for Jacqueline's birthday dinner or watch Shayna plan her wedding.
- I have a good job + I am a student. 

- I love driving over the Potomac River from Maryland into Virginia, then over Harpers Ferry from Virginia to West Virginia on my way to class every Tuesday and Thursday.
- Baker Park is the sweetest place to run on a weekday morning. It's a 2-mile loop that filled with playgrounds and babies and children riding bicycles.
- As a Celiac, I can't drink beer and finding restaurants with gluten-free options is almost hopeless. We eat lots of arepas and tortilla chips and Panda Puffs cereal.
- I have a teeny vegetable garden that needs my attention.
* I'm getting married to a man I adore. 


Happy Saturday.




Giggles. A Wednesday evening in the Costco parking lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello + Welcome

Hello + Welcome

Archives

Followers